A 56-year-old homeless man was in critical condition with burns Monday morning in Pleasant Hill when a candle set his tent on fire.
At 4:19 a.m. Monday, Pleasant Hill police received a report of a nude man lying on the side of Taylor Boulevard near Morello Avenue. Officers responded and found the man with severe burns covering his legs, torso an arms, police said.
The man had been in a tent and lit a candle. At the campsite, officers found no other victims. The man was airlifted to the University of California, Davis Medical Center Burn Unit.
The cold spell means it's a critical time for the homeless people of Central Contra Costa County.